Today’s the Day!

16 Oct

photo (8)

I thought I’d take a moment to share and reflect on the historical and meaningful events that have taken place on this date throughout history. Here are some highlights:

On October 16…

1793: Marie Antoniette was beheaded

1854: Oscar Wilde was born

1869: A hotel in Boston became the first to have indoor plumbing

1925: The State of Texas School Board prohibited the teaching of evolution

1940: The Warsaw Ghetto was established

1943: Chicago opened a new subway system

1946: Ten Nazi leaders were hanged as war criminals after the Nuremberg trials

1967: Singer-songwriter Joan Baez was arrested at a Vietnam anti-war protest in Oakland, California

1969: The New York Mets won the World Series

1995: “The Million Man March” took place in Washington, DC

2002: President George W. Bush authorized war on Iraq

2013: I converted to Judaism*

*Full recap of the event to follow! I’m taking a week-long blog break, but I’ll be back with all the details soon!

13 Responses to “Today’s the Day!”

1. Melinda Ziskinder October 16, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

Welcome to the tribe! Mazel tov!!

2. Lisa Micley October 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Mazal Tov, Kate, and welcome to the Jewish people. I am delighted that you are so happy to join us. I am looking forward to reading the details next week.

• Convert Confidential October 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Lisa,
      Thanks so much for reading the blog for all these months now and for your sweet comment. It was a wonderful experience today!

3. Chana October 16, 2013 at 1:30 pm #

Mazal Tov! What a simcha to celebrate. :)

4. Pamela October 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Congratulations dear on your big day!

5. Svetlana Grobman October 16, 2013 at 2:06 pm #

Quite a list! And now you’re one of the “chosen” people, too — for better or worse. Hopefully, for better :)

• Convert Confidential October 16, 2013 at 6:37 pm #

Thanks for your kind comment. It’s great to officially be a member of the Jewish people!

6. Romie Tager October 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm #

Mazal tov. Welcome to the Jewish family.

Next step, marry Steve and be welcomed into our family!

Romie

• Convert Confidential October 16, 2013 at 6:36 pm #

Thank you so much, Romie, that really means a lot. I’m happy to be a part of the tribe and can’t wait to join the family!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Just a Note About the Future… | Convert Confidential - October 18, 2013

[…] documenting my tale of conversion to Judaism. Culminating in, well, my conversion to Judaism on October 16! This has hands down been the busiest, happiest, most stressful and joyful year of my life and I am […]